Dr Piyush Somani HOD & Consultant, Gastroenterology
Areas of Expertise:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease and peptic ulcers
- Heartburn/gases/bloating/acidity/chest pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome, Diarrhoea & Constipation
- Blood in stool, anemia & piles (haemorrhoids)
- Jaundice (yellow eyes), Acute and Chronic Viral Hepatitis
- Liver Cirrhosis/liver diseases
- Fatty liver, Hepatitis B/C & Liver cancer
- Colorectal Cancer screening
- Pancreatic disorders (pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts and pancreatic cancer)
- Biliary disorders (gallstones, gallbladder diseases, biliary strictures & bile duct cancers)
- Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- Barret’s Esophagus, early gastric cancer and colonic polyps
- Achalasia cardia
English, Hindi, Urdu, Gujarati, Marathi and Rajasthani.
Dr. Piyush Somani is an experienced gastroenterologist/advanced endoscopist with over 12 years of experience and performs interventional/diagnostic endoscopy. He has performed more than 10,000 endoscopic procedures. He completed MBBS and Internal Medicine (M.D) training from Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India. He completed his Gastroenterology (D.M) training from Nair Hospital, Mumbai (India). He passed D.N.B (Gastroenterology) in 2012. Dr. Piyush worked as an Assistant Professor (lecturer) in Nair Hospital, Mumbai from 2012 to 2014.
He underwent clinical training in advanced interventional endoscopy/Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) at Shengjing Hospital, China Medical University, China under mentorship of Professor Sun Siyu in 2015. This hospital performs more than 75000 endoscopic procedures per year with around 5000 EUS procedures per year.
In 2015, Dr. Somani was granted Asian Young Endoscopist award by Korean society of Endoscopy and underwent training in ERCP/Interventional EUS in National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea.
He also underwent clinical training in advanced ERCP/EUS in Jaswant Rai Speciality Hospital, Meerut, India under mentorship of Dr. Malay Sharma. Dr Malay centre performs more than 2500 ERCP per year with around 2000 EUS procedures per year. Dr. Piyush has successfully performed more than 650 Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) procedures including complex procedures like pseudocyst drainage, walled off necrosis drainage with bile duct drainage and around 250 FNAC/Biopsy. He also performed around 500 ERCP procedures during the period from 2015 to 2016.
He was the only recipient of prestigious American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) International Training grant in 2015. As a part of this grant, he pursued fellowship in interventional endoscopy/Cholangioscopy/EMR/interventional EUS at centre for interventional endoscopy (CIE), Florida Hospital at Orlando, Florida in 2016. CIE is one of the largest and advanced centre for interventional endoscopy in USA.
He was working in a Private hospital in Dubai for 4 years before joining Al Zahra Hospital, Sharjah in May 2020. He has performed multiple complex endoscopy procedures in Dubai.
He is one of the few gastroenterologists in UAE who performs cholangioscopy (endoscopy inside the common bile duct).
- Early diagnosis and endoscopic treatment of early-stage cancers in oesophagus, stomach, pancreas and large intestine (colon)
- Diagnosis of neuroendocrine tumours and lymphomas
- Biopsy/FNAC of Large lymph nodes in chest (mediastinum)/abdomen
- Undiagnosed cases of pancreatitis
- Diseases of common bile duct
He has expertise in performing following procedures:
- Endoscopic Retrograde Chaolangiopancreatography (ERCP) (all complex cases including pancreas endotherapy)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) (Biopsy/FNAC of tumours, pseudocyst drainage, walled off pancreatic necrosis drainage, celiac axis block, bile duct and pancreatic duct drainage)
- Endoscopic removal of polyps (tumours) in stomach, duodenum and colon
- Cholangioscopy with laser removal of large stones in bile duct/cystic ductlpancreatic duct
- Fibroscan for liver diseases, Liver biopsy, Metallic stent placement
- Endoscopic treatment of Obesity with balloons for weight loss
- Capsule endoscopy, Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy, Capsule Ph metry
- Esophageal Manometry and pH metry
- APASL (Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver) Early career fellowship, 2014 (First recipient of this prestigious award)
- JGHF Young Investigator award at APASL 2013, Singapore. This was awarded for the best poster at APASL 2013, entitled “Prevalence of Cardiac and Renal Dysfunction in Indian Cirrhotic patients”
- Along with his mentor Dr. Malay Sharma, educational video titled ‘Role of Endoscopic ultrasound in evaluation of lung cancer’ was awarded ASGE (American society of gastrointestinal endoscopy) annual audio-visual (AV) award, 2017 at ASGE crystal awards ceremony at DDW, 2017. DDW is the largest gastroenterology conference in the world.
- Japanese Foundation for research and promotion of Endoscopy (JFE) Grant
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) International training Grant
He has around 40 oral presentations in international conferences all over the world. He is reviewer in gastroenterology journals like digestive endoscopy, BMJ open, world journal of gastroenterology and world journal of GI endoscopy.